at Silver Reef Organic Farms
We commit to going above and beyond to create the highest quality crops on the market using leading edge technology, superior sustainable systems to contribute to healthy ecosystems, build a strong farming community, and contribute to an enhanced economy. As a Sustainable Farm, Silver Reef Organic Farms is committed to meeting the needs of the present without compromising the environmental impact for future generations.
- Using remote moisture sensing technology, weather modeling, and variable rate nozzles, Silver Reef Organic Farms can irrigate crops with precision accuracy and be more efficient with valuable resources like water and crop nutrients.
- By utilizing Zimmatic FieldNet software, we have precision control over application rates and quickly assess any necessary repairs of irrigation equipment. This allows for improved watering accuracy, efficiency and less field interruption.
Grain Bin Initiative
- Silver Reef Organic Farms stores many of our grain products in our certified organic on-site grain bins. The ability to transport harvested product from field to bin helps reduce carbon emissions, lowers fuel and labor transportation costs and gives us better control over getting our crops out of the field in a timely manner. Our grain bins are equipped with ventilation systems and remote moisture sensors so that grains can be closely monitored for quality control. This ensures that the crop our buyers receive will be of the same quality and consistency as if it was taken directly out of the field.
Data Collection & Farm Management Software
- Since 2018, Silver Reef Organic Farms has integrated cover crops to improve soil health, weed and crop management. Cover crops provide the farm with operating efficiency by reducing manure applications, purchases of supplemental nitrogen, improving weed management, and reducing labor and fuel use.
- While there are many advantages to cover crops for operating efficiency, they also provide the soils with additional organic matter by sequestering carbon and reducing soil nitrous oxide emissions.
- Cover crops also provide benefits of nutrient cycling, weed suppression, and helping manage soil, air, and water retention.
Silver Reef Organic Farms fosters a healthy and safe workplace by nurturing their growth and development through:
- Providing farmstead housing for employees and their families
- Conducting annual CPR and First Aid training
- Coordinating bi-annual physicals for employees and families to make sure their health and well-being is always taken care of
- Performing daily morning stretches, safety protocol and wellness check-in’s
- Providing access to and maintaining on-site inventory of personal protection equipment (PPE) to ensure that all employees are working safely and without compromise
- Implementing regular maintenance and upkeep process for all tractors and equipment to keep machinery run safely and efficiently